With fashion week just two weeks away, it only makes sense for the gentleman to be mindful of how his attire reflects his personal style. It is also interesting to note that New York’s 2019 fashion week, and men’s fashion week will be combined this year where it was traditionally held separately. Yes 2019 is a new year with different ideas…….so shouldn’t you’re dress and style be?
Here are some tips and ideas that can help you upgrade your look (without downgrading your wallet):
- Whenever you wear a sports jacket or blazer, use a pocket square every time. They don’t have to be expensive, they just have to look good. Be creative with it.
- Visit vintage and thrift stores, and buy a couple of jackets (that fit you) for under $20.00. Vintage jackets not only give you a unique look, they will also make you stand out from the crowd.
- Learn to use and tie a new necktie knot (yes there is more than one), two or three should do the trick, and bask in the glow as others whisper “oh how stylish”.
- Start a tie collection. Try different patterns, colors and prints. (remember that wearing the same outfit with a different tie, looks as if you are wearing a whole different outfit).
- Buy and collect as many different dress shirts as you can (much like the ties). Soon you will realize that some are classic, and other will become classic.
- Organize your wardrobe, so that you can easily pick out items for a quick outfit if you are pressed for time, as well as to choose the right attire for the right event or engagement.
- Get a tailor. Get all of your nice pants, jackets and shirts adjusted by a tailor. You will be glad you did.
- Spent time developing your “personal style”. And shift and adjust it to reflect your personality. Use a classic style as your focus until your personal style is refined and second nature.
- Ignore Trends. After you are more adept with your individual style, you will understand the logic of this. Don’t be a follower, be a leader!
- Choose Quality over Quantity. Buy the best quality that you can afford at any given time, one or two good pieces will do. And continue this over time.
- Build your confidence the way you build your wardrobe, slowly but surely.
- Develop you personal scent. Experiment with different fragrances to find your very own signature scent to partner with your personal style.
- Have fun. The most important part of all this is to enjoy yourself (take the attitude of dressing for you). Remember the goal is look good and feel good, when you see the reflection of yourself in the mirror!
Now go out there and join the ranks of the Stylish!